On Saturdays we have to play catch up from our work week. There is laundry to do, bathrooms to clean, floors to be vacuumed and scrubbed, and grocery shopping to be planned for and completed. This long list of time-consuming tasks are only made more difficult to finish when one parent is absent.
Jason has a play date with one of his buddies today. They are currently fishing on a little lake with their bows and arrows trying to win a fishing tournament. Don't ask me why this is fun, I will never understand it. They are fishing for large carp-like fish that are not native to our area, but were introduced to our lakes and rivers after the Missouri flooded our area last summer. I'm not sure if the contest is decided by the amount of fish they catch or by the weight of the fish, but either way these are not fish that this family will be eating. ;)
At any rate, since Jason is off having, what he calls, "fun" with his friend, I am tasked with completing our Saturday "to-do lists" by myself. Well, not really. I have two "helpers" to involve as well. Ha! So this is how our Saturday is going at this point:
- "Sleep in." Check. (If your idea of sleeping in is having two kids in your bed watching Phineas and Ferb while you try to snooze through their giggling.)
- Get up, throw on some clothes and go get donuts and COFFEE! Check. Awesome donuts by Jitters, and a large coffee later I am more prepared to take on my day of single parenting.
- Come home and play on the Internet. What?! I had to check out the worlds of Facebook, Pinterest, Zulily, Crazy 8, other blogs I follow, and then updating my own. I swear that this is how Saturdays are supposed to go....really!
- Help Lauren clean up the finger nail polish remover she spilled all over the kitchen floor....check. Shhhh.....don't tell Jason! He would ban all girly products from the house for sure!!! If the wood floor starts looking a little lighter in that area I will blame it on all of the sun that comes through our kitchen windows and maybe, finally, get the new flooring I want anyway! LOL
- Explain to Braden that he is not, in fact, a lion tamer and that Sadie (our dog) is not, in fact, a lion and that if he actually hits her with that leash then I get to play the part of the tamer and HE gets to be the lion! (Don't call DHS, I won't actually hit him with the leash, but HE doesn't know that so this comment works for getting him to take a step back from the dog. Hey, don't judge me, SHE was my FIRST child, so naturally my favorite! LOL)
- Now, on to the rest of my day. This is what we have in store:
- Laundry - What this consists of at our house is getting it all clean, piling it up on our chair in the living room, and folding it a few days in the future. Then a few days after that we will actually put away the piles that are left, and refold the piles that we have been rifling through for days on end looking for clean clothes to wear to work and school.
- Vacuum and Clean Floors - Sounds pretty straight-forward right? I should mention that I hate vacuuming stairs so I pay my 5 year old $1 to do it for me. LOL And I am too lazy to sweep the kitchen and bathroom floors, so those get vacuumed too. And maybe not mopped today....we will see how things go.
- Dusting....hahahahahahaha! Yeah right!
- 1:15 movie of Chimpanzee. This has been requested by my
slaveschildren for a nice break in our day. I am thinking that I will not eat lunch today so that I can eat a whole bunch of movie theatre popcorn with out all of the guilt. :)
- After the movie we need to kick our cleaning into high gear before the man of the house returns and asks, "Huh...sooooo, what did you guys DO today?" as he looks around the house that really isn't much cleaner than when he left.
Enjoy your weekends everyone. Take some time to be silly with your kids, make a few messes, make a few memories, and maybe get your laundry put away. :)